Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) is a strip procedure of hair transplant. It involves removing a linear strip of hair from the donor region of the scalp and implanting it in the recipient region. The strip containing hair follicles is dissected under a stereo-microscope and divided into grafts of 1-3 follicles grafts. These grafts are then placed into incisions made on the recipient region.
The most prevalent technique for calculating hair transplant costs in India is on a per-graft basis.
In one session, a maximum of 2000 grafts can be planted in the recipient region. But it was not always so. Previously, different methods were used for hair transplants. But it was not always so. Depending on your hair loss, scalp flexibility, the nature of your baldness, an alternative method for FUT can be FUE or PRP hair treatment.
Currently, there are two main types of hair transplantation procedures:
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) Hair Transplant
Continue reading to learn more about FUT surgery and how FUT varies from FUE.
- Step 1: The surgeon will check if your donor region is perfect or not. Analyze the condition of follicles, density of hair, and sustainability of hair. He will estimate the number of grafts required for your hair transplantation.
- Step 2: First, they will shave the donor region of your scalp to harvest the strip.
- Step 3: Later surgeon will construct natural looking hairline as per your will.
- Step 4: Then, he will monitor anesthesia to your scalp.
- Step 5: After that surgeon will determine how many samples will be required to fulfill the necessary grafts.
- Step 6: The surgeon will carefully remove the strip from your donor region.
- Step 7: The region from which the strip is removed will be closed by stitching.
- Step 8: The strip will be dissected under a stereo microscope, and good-quality follicular hair graft units will be extracted from it.
- Step 9: The surgeon will start making incisions in your recipient region after considering the direction of your hair growth and insert follicular graft units in the incisions.
Hair develops in follicular units of 1 to 4 hairs. The doctor generally utilizes a follicular unit of 1 to 2 hairs for a natural-looking eyebrows hair transplant. A strip of skin containing the donor's hair will be removed from the back of the scalp by the doctor. The number of hair transplants necessary determines the length of the strip. When the donor region is a scalp, the FUT method is considered.
A female Hair Transplant using the FUT method is performed by removing a strip of skin from the back of the head. It has the maximum density of hair. The surgeon will keep an eye on your scalp's anesthetic and seek a pliable region and may be covered by the hair above it. Hair from that region is raised upward. Your surgeon will next shave the tiny region where the hair strip will be harvested. He'll patch the wound created by it afterward. Under a stereo microscope, the surgeon will dissect the hair strip and make incisions to plant the follicular unit grafts in the recipient region.
|Things to care for||Precaution|
|Swelling of the forehead and between eyes||Massage the area and use ice packs 3-4 times per day. Avoid bending down.|
|Graft care||Avoid contact with grafts until the 6th day after surgery.|
|Donor care||Remove dressing before going to sleep. Visit a doctor to remove stitches after 10-14 days.|
|Hair wash||Don’t wash your hair for 24 hours after your surgery.|
|Exercise||Don’t exercise for one week when grafts are becoming secure.|
|Diet||Avoid caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, garlic, multivitamins for the first 2 days to prevent bleeding.|
|Sun||Don’t expose your scalp to the sun for the first 3 months.|
|Medications||Follow the medication prescribed by your surgeon.|
|Sleep||For the first 3 days, use a neck pillow while sleeping and keep your head at 45 degrees angle from the mattress.|
After the Follicular hair transplant surgery, remove your dressing before going to sleep. Go to the hair transplant surgeon for follow-ups.
- Visit surgeon after 10-12 days to remove stitches.
- The transplanted hair will fall out 2-3 weeks after surgery. This will make way for the growth of new hair. After 8-12 months, you will notice a substantial amount of hair growth.
- There may be temporary numbness around the donor region which will recede in a few months. The average FUT hair transplant time to see the proper results is around 1 year.
- After your FUT surgery, it would be better to take a week off before you resume your work.
There are no major side effects of FUT hair transplant, which can harm you. However, you may experience some minor side effects due to common surgical procedures.
The common side effects which you may experience are:
- Minor infection
- The look after new hair growth is natural.
- The trauma to the scalp is minimum.
- It can create a close fit for FUT grafts.
- Removing tissues in the recipient region is not required.
- It retains the elasticity of the scalp.
- Many follicles can be transplanted in a single session.
- It is more affordable than other techniques such as FUE and DHI hair transplants
- In FUT hair transplant, as the strip is removed from the donor region, it leaves a linear scar on the back of the head.
- The surgeon removes the stitches from the donor area of your scalp from where the strip is removed after 10-14 days of the FUT surgery. Your donor area will start healing and form a linear scar.
- After FUT hair transplant, your hair will be shed after 1 month. The new hair will start to grow 3-4 months after hair transplant surgery. In the beginning, the new hair will be fragile and fine, but as it will grow longer, it will become thick and strong.
- After 6 months, you will experience substantial hair growth. Eventually, you will see the result of FUT hair transplant. Your hair will attain the same quality as your donor hair from which follicular units were harvested.
- Follicular hair transplant (FUT) is a strip procedure of hair transplant in which follicular unit grafts are harvested. It is done by dissecting the strip under the stereomicroscope, which has high magnification. The harvested grafts are of good quality and not damaged.
- The surgeon can estimate the number of grafts obtained from dissecting the strip. The resultant hair looks natural.
- If a person suffers from hair loss again after some years and decides to do an additional hair transplant, it will be possible if the prior treatment he had undergone was FUT.
- As in Follicular hair transplant (FUT), the surgeon will remove the previous scar, and after treatment, he will have only one scar in the donor region. Whereas in FUE, new scars will be created along with old scars.
- The growth rate of hair for FUT is 95% greater than FUE, whose growth rate is 85%.